Monday, September 16, 2024

Bri Bonefield

16 September 2024

So I have shifted my ideas/theme just a little, because I am mostly focusing on birds, their behavior, and how it can be similar to humans by how they interact with each other. I find this theme/idea compelling because I believe it brings an awareness to our connection with the natural world. As well as reminding us that the natural world and the human world are intertwined. Through some research, I found myself interested in corvids or the crow family, which consists of crows, jays, and magpies. They are intelligent, as well as social birds.

Idea 1
In this idea, I wanted to show a crow funeral, but give the crows emotion through facial expressions. Like humans, crows will gather around one of their own that passes on, however, crows will be loud. The reason being that they are trying to alarm other nearby crows and figure out how their fallen friend died. There are studies that discuss how crows form bonds with each other. Often a group of crows (a murder) is made up of family members, like older siblings who will stay and help their parents, aunts, uncles to raise their young. For this idea, I feel like something is lacking, perhaps I could include some words/text/phrase, and/or have some shiny trinkets around the dead crow to show the other birds have said their farewell. 

Idea 2
As for idea 2, I would like to show vulnerability, and let people in. In a way, you give a piece of yourself. The blue jay on the left holds the feathers tightly, keeping them close. I almost feel like the idea is too literal, yet after I finished the sketch I began to consider writing, or some type of text. Also, I think having some feathers next to the bird on the right would help the concept as well. I found that most blue jays pair for life, but some do separate. But blue jays, like many other birds, bring food offerings to their partners, as a form of courtship. 

Idea 3
In my third sketch, I am exploring the idea of how it is okay to lean on others when one can feel entirely hopeless. The chickadee on the bottom is wing-less, and looks like a fluff-ball, while the chickadee on top is carrying the other. ???


9 September 2024

I have become drawn to the symbiotic relationship between ravens and wolves. Their symbiotic relationship is classified as mutualism, where both organisms benefit from one another. It reminds me of relationships between friends, family, and a partner, where there is give and take. In nature, some ravens have formed a strong bond with wolves since they were young. There are some incidents where a raven will continue to follow the wolf if it departs from the pack. I'm still trying to figure out how I would like to discuss/represent the relationship in correlation to humans. Like how can the relationship between wolves and ravens overlap, or relate, to human interactions or relationships?

Currently, I'm considering morphing animals together into hybrids. Something like this bird (it's a black-capped chickadee) with antlers I molded in clay. Birds are delicate, petite creatures, but by giving them antlers/horns they become different, stronger.



2 September 2024

Previous Work
Accompany Me to the Beyond
2024
    This piece allowed me to explore the practice of multiple, which I find myself drawn to again. I would love to create more little hummingbirds for this piece one day, but I am looking to create another piece with multiples.

Spiral of Life
2023
       In this work, I really enjoyed working with actual outside materials. I think a part of this piece I would like to push some more into other work is painting on the wall(s) when installing the work. 
 
Healing River
2023
    This became very cathartic for me. I have always been drawn in by rivers, their sound, feel, and movement. This piece gave me the ability to work with ephemeral materials, like the red tissue paper, sticks, and jute twine.

Lift and Help Me to Soar
2024
    I enjoyed the process of creating the figure, which is cast resin, painted, and then covered in wax. There is such a wide range of materials in this piece, and I am looking forward to pushing myself into other materials that may work together.

Untitled
2024
    Much to my surprise I loved creating this piece. Perhaps the reason I enjoyed it so much was because it was a different style - not realistic, more cartoon. This piece was a break and refresher from my usual work. However, it still dealt with heavy themes like loss and abandonment. I would like to pursue more work similar to this, but pushing it into a more realistic style. 


Materials, processes, tools
    As for materials, processes, and tools I am currently leaning towards steel, plaster, and casting (bronze/iron/aluminum/paper). I love working with steel because it feels like a versatile material, and welding is one of my favorite processes. As for plaster, I think I would be interested in carving it, instead of creating molds from it. I have a little experience carving into plaster, but I am interested in exploring the process some more. Then casting is a process that I find enjoyable to practice, especially when it comes to creating multiples. 

Iron Pour
    I think by working on a small scale it will be extremely beneficial, not only because of weight but also working smaller can allow more room for multiples. Also, I am looking forward to new experiences and maybe even some processes during the San Diego Western Cast Iron Conference. 

Thematic threads
    Currently, I am interested in exploring anthropomorphism, which is the act of giving human traits to non-human entities, like animals or objects. I am especially intrigued by the overlap between wildlife and humans, like relationships and social interactions. In my exploration I would like to give the animals emotion, much like my wooden bird piece. However, I would like to create my pieces in more of a realistic style unlike my wood bird. When reflecting on my past work, I feel like anthropomorphism has been present before, and I am thinking about exploring it a bit more.

Artist Inspiration
(For anyone who is interested the websites should be linked through the artists' names.)

    Hegarty's work is intriguing because it is both painting and sculpture. She seeks to make connections between art history, her life and the present. Also, most of her work is mixed media. I find her ability to recreate historic paintings into sculptures admirable, especially since I am considering working this way myself. 
Skull, Candle, and Book Distort with Sparrows
Wood, canvas, wire, air-dry clay, foil, epoxy, plastic, acrylics 
31”h x 31”w x 8.25”d
2024
Wine Glass, Grapes and Peach Distort with Sparrow
Wood, canvas, wire, air-dry clay, foil, epoxy, plastic, acrylics
19.5”h x 17”w x 7”d
2024

Death Mask with Sparrow
Wood, canvas, wire, air-dry clay, foil, tape, epoxy, acrylics 
14”h x 14”w x 2.75” d
2024

    Jewett's sculptures led me to consider and reflect on my own work more, mostly when it comes to labeling/categorizing it. Her work can be considered surrealism, which feels like some of my pieces fall under the same category. I find her intricate detail lovely, there is always something new to find in her pieces. Jewett's work inspires me because of her use of animals and way of working.  
Vulpes ferus (untamed faox/kitsune)
Air drying polymer, polymer, cold porcelain, no VOC acrylic, mineral powder, metal, nylon fiber
20x10x18.5"
2024
Vulpes anima (soul fox/kitsune)
Air drying polymer, polymer, cold porcelain, no VOC acrylic, mineral powder, metal, nylon fiber
16x12x19.5"
2024

Ouroboros
2024


    Macdowell focuses on our current impact on the environment. There are some animals that have anthropomorphic qualities to them, while the figures in other pieces are a representation of us. Her work intrigues me because her animals possess a strong sense of emotion, and her use of little color. 

Casualty
Hand built porcelain, cone 6 glaze
15"x9"x3"
2/2009

Feather trade: Carolina parakeets, 
Wall installation roughly 6-6 ½'x4’, feather bunches 3-4"x4-4 ½"x ½", solo bird 10"x12"x3 ½", hand build porcelain and glaze
7/2016

Panhandlers: house sparrow
 Hand built porcelain, cone 6 glaze
 5"x5 ½"x3 ½"
10/2013


    Jackson explores human emotions and utilizes animals and nature to express her ideas. She also works through anthropomorphism. Her work truly inspires me as well as my current theme(s). I will be referring back to Jackson quite often. By mostly focusing on her pieces that possess a strong body language and emotion will allow me to obtain a better understanding of how to go forward with my ideas. 
Tell me all your secrets...

All my failures (Aren't they lovely...)

I imagine losing you all the time

Sad Rabbit

    Tomohiro creates work about the intangible and engages his viewers' imagination. He purposefully makes spaces in his to encourage some participation from his audience. His work is interesting because of the idea of the intangible. It reminds me of my exploration of spirituality, and gives some understanding/examples of how to discuss pieces. 
Memories of the Sky
Iron, urethane paint, acrylic paint
1920x600x110
2021
Footsteps of the Stars
Iron, urethane paint, acrylic paint
960x1000x400
2021
If I could get there tonight
Iron, urethane paint, acrylic paint
1200x480x1830
2021

5 comments:

  1. Bri,
    Thinking about your theme of anthropomorphism, it might be interesting to do some research (if you don't already know) on how some species of birds might do things or interact with each other in a similar way that humans do. For example, elephants have mourning rituals and grieve for others they have lost. Essentially comparing or questioning humanistic traits within animals. Because when it comes down to it, why is it considered a humanistic trait and/or how do we define a humanistic trait.
    From another perspective, it would be interesting to explore portraying birds doing incredibly human things that an animal would not be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have talked briefly in class about swapping animals body parts. Also about the odd implications it can create for the animal. For example the bird with insect wings. I still feel this a strong direction to go, but I'm definitely biased. Ravens and Wolves is another theme that carries a lot of iconography and symbolism. How do you plan of representing that relationship? The theme reminds me of Erika Sanada's (who you introduced me to through recommendation) fox and bird sculptures where they are physically melted together. This could be a jumping off point for exploring weird ways to represent that relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others on researching how different birds interact with other animal species. One symbiotic relationship that I find fascinating is between plover birds and crocodiles. Crocs and gators have this reputation for being killing machines and yet they don't harm a feather on these little birds. Also researching symbolism associated with different types of birds. I think a lot of species of birds have some type of symbolism or stereotypes tied to them so you could possibly break past some of the harmful stereotypes or even lean into the different symbolisms and how they relate to humans or other animals. (Also unrelated but I find it a little amusing that you like to focus on birds for your subject matter because I love birds as well. I find it a little funny that the other Bri also likes birds.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore how fierce the horne makes that bird. He is ready to FIGHT. The only artist I can think of who touches on anthropomorphic qualities is Jane Alexander from South Africa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exLabT1Vdu0 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Alexander_(artist) ). Her work is more political, but I think you will appreciate how she merges animals and humans.

    Don’t be afraid to make a few more cartoonish works before returning to the more realistic stuff. If you had fun with it, then there is no rush to make anything else! Perhaps by creating a parallel body of work with a different aesthetic approach to the same topics, you could explore new angles that you hadn't seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bri,
    The use of birds as an icon throughout your work is honestly genius and a thread I think you should continue to pursue. There are so many different symbolic meanings that can be represented through the different species of birds. Due to them being so common in our daily lives, they make those messages and themes easy to read and open up your work to a large audience. It makes me wonder how much of the bird iconography needs to be present for an audience to pick up that it is a bird?
    I agree with everyone above and definitely believe that pursuing research in animal traits and mimicking human traits would be interesting to see and compare. Megan put it perfectly and I totally agree with the sentiment of continuing to pursue more cartoonish works if you had fun with it.
    Some artists I found for you are Jane Alexander, Leonard Baskin, Su Blackwell, Pauline Lee, and Barbara Frank.

    ReplyDelete

Matteo Ricciardi

Matteo Ricciardi (Added Writing)  * Updated 9/7/2024 Ideas from the Summer:  Idea #1: I'm Just Carapace with a Face     This is an idea ...